The Wage and Hour Act protects youth between 14- and 17-years old by restricting the types of jobs and the number of hours they may work.
Any youth under the age of 18 who works in North Carolina for any employer must have a youth employment certificate.
Please call 1-800-625-2267 if you have any questions.
HOW TO HANDLE COMPLETED CERTIFICATES:
Please click the link to fill out a youth employment certificate:
- Certificate needs to be signed by the youth, the parent or legal guardian and the employer.
- Completed and signed certificates must be given to the employer on or before the first day of work.
- The employer must verify the youth’s age, proposed job duties and any restrictions noted on the certificate.
- The certificate must be maintained by the employer for two years after employment ends or until age 20, as appropriate.
- It is NOT necessary to mail the completed certificate to the North Carolina Department of Labor.